MEDIA KIT FOR SECOND MOBILE CLINIC LAUNCH
- Heart of Australia began in 2015 and is the brainchild of Brisbane-based cardiologist Doctor Rolf Gomes.
- The service delivers fortnightly specialist care to: Dalby, Goondiwindi, Stanthorpe, St George, Charleville, Roma, Emerald, Barcaldine, Longreach, Hughenden, Charters Towers and Moranbah.
- The addition of the second truck will see the service expand to Quilpie, Blackall and Cloncurry and increase the time specialists will spend in each town.
- The first Heart of Australia truck has travelled more than 150,000 kilometres covering an area of more than 450,000 square kilometres.
- The new routes will see Heart of Australia travel on average 2000 kilometres per month.
- Heart of Australia has seen more than 5000 patients over the past three years.
- Heart of Australia has saved more than 250 lives to date.
- The second truck was designed by Dr Gomes, who is a trained engineer as well as cardiologist. He used lessons learnt from the first truck to make improvements to the second vehicle.
- It is a custom, 34-wheel articulated rig built to the standard 26-metres, B-Double road train measurements.
- Construction of the truck began in Brisbane in August 2017.
- The second truck has 4 clinic rooms: 2 consult rooms, 1 cardiac testing room and 1 all-purpose room.
- The truck also has waiting area verandas, a wheelchair access lift, full kitchen, AV systems with retractable screens and projectors, a reception area, full air condition and toilet facilities.
- On board the truck there is more than $1 million worth of medical and IT equipment.
- Some of the new equipment on board this truck includes: portable ultrasound machines, EMG/NCS testing equipment for the Neurologist, a stress testing bike, Colposcopes, and Vital Signs Monitors.
- The truck can be self-powered for up to seven days using diesel and solar panels.
- The truck is driven by a Kenworth K200 prime mover.
A NOTE FROM OUR SPONSORS
Heart of Australia has proved to be a leap forward in bringing medical care to people outside the major cities – the people in our areas of operations.
It is addressing an imbalance experienced by people in the bush. We were pleased to help Heart of Australia get off the ground in 2014, we’ve been proud of what it’s achieved to date and we’re excited about how this new rig will change lives in the Surat and Bowen basins.
St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital
St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital is proud to be an official sponsor of Heart of Australia – a program that takes capital-city levels of service and care to about 13 regional and remote communities across Queensland.
Our partnership with Heart of Australia began in 2010 when founder Dr Rolf Gomes approached St Andrew’s about bringing specialist cardiac services to the bush on board a cardiology truck. Our cardiologists support the service, providing diagnosis, treatment and follow-up for a range of cardiovascular and respiratory conditions.
From the outset, we have been inspired by the vision of Heart of Australia to provide vital health services to remote communities. We are passionate about advancing health and nutrition for all Australians. Our sponsorship with Heart of Australia aligns to our commitment to support the health of farmers and their families.
For us, with over 90 years of being part of Australian agriculture, we are proud of the contribution we have made to this life-saving service.
PACCAR Australia has been proudly supporting the Heart of Australia since its inception, providing a Kenworth K200 prime mover to haul the mobile medical clinic across an ever-growing footprint in regional Queensland. The new prime mover provided by PACCAR Australia, HEART 2, is also a Kenworth K200; B-Double rated to suit the new larger trailer combination that incorporates customised features such as a Holland Kompensator turntable, super single steer tyres to Beacon lights. Kenworth is renowned for its reliability and durability in arduous conditions, making it the ideal truck for the job.
In addition to this The Brown and Hurley Group, PACCAR’s longest serving and largest dealer provide truck service and maintenance for both vehicles.
At Philips, we believe there’s always a way to make life better. We strongly believe that through the use of technology, we can help increase community access to quality healthcare and improve health outcomes. As a collaborative partner on the Heart 2 Truck, we’re very pleased that we can enable Heart of Australia to bring the benefits of access to specialised healthcare effectively to as many people as possible in rural and remote Queensland.
QML Pathology has been proudly supporting Heart of Australia since 2016. As a company which also provides medical services to rural and remote areas of Queensland, it has been a pleasure to support a program that breaks the grip of distance to deliver specialist medical services to these communities. QML Pathology looks forward to continuing our partnership with Heart of Australia and seeing the positive outcomes of an additional custom-built mobile clinic in these areas.
Leading tyre company Bridgestone continues to proudly support the Heart of Australia program.
Through tyre supply for the organisation’s trucks, trailers and support vehicles, Bridgestone keeps Heart of Australia on the highway to continue connecting regional communities with specialised health care.
Bridgestone’s commitment to the Heart of Australia program is part its global CSR initiative, Our Way to Serve, which focusses on making contributions to society that enhance mobility, connect people and strengthen environmental stewardship.
Servier Australia is proud to support Heart of Australia through the Servier Foundation. Heart disease, diabetes and mental health are all National Health Priority areas and we congratulate Dr Rolf Gomes on his vision, drive and ambition in bringing this initiative to Australian patients in need.
Actelion Community Centres of Excellence Support Services (ACCESS)
Actelion, a Janssen Pharmaceutical Company of Johnson & Johnson, are proud to be sponsoring the expansion of the Heart of Australia program, as a second truck is added to the initiative to help improve access to much-needed specialist services in regional Queensland. As part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies, we are working to create a world without disease. The patient is at the heart of all that Actelion do, and we are committed to serving all Australian communities with the greatest unmet medical needs.
Fraser’s Livestock Transport
Frasers Livestock Transport know a bit about the bush. After almost 75 years providing services to rural Australia, they understand how hard it can be for our bush battlers – let alone having to leave their land to access medical attention available only in the city.
That’s why Frasers are in for the long haul – proudly involved in helping Heart of Australia supply vital health services out in the sticks: Because our bush battlers deserve better.
Dr. Rolf provided Icon basic levels of concepts and images from existing graphics that had been designed and applied to previous vehicles – from this Icon Creations designed, manufactured and coordinated the installation of vehicle graphics.
Icon Creations Director, Glen Gibson, was inspired by the ABC Australian Story on Dr. Rolf Gomes and his dedication to providing a mobile medical clinic to remote NSW & Qld communities and felt our company had the ability to assist in this worthy endeavour.
Heart of Australia is proudly supported by: